Sunday, September 09, 2007

baking soda + vinegar = lotta fizz & unclogged sink

I've been on this "green" kick. I know... I know... its so mainstream. I'm really quite disgusted that I decided to hop on the "green and organic" bandwagon. Bah.

They say reading and knowledge is good for you, but all its done is making me wonder what kinds of long-term, unreversible damage I'm doing to Sean and I when I'm using 409 or Drano. I mean, you would think that when one is cleaning, one should feel good, blah, blah. But now when I clean, I get a guilt conscious too. What gives?!?! It just make the whole cleaning thing suck even more (which I didn't think was possible).

Our bathroom sink has been seriously clogging up. It's making simple tasks like washing my face difficult. Now I have to wash the left side, stop, let the water drain. Wash the right side, stop, let the water drain. And then do an overall wash. (I think I've been running around with facial cleansers permanently adhered to my face b/c of this whole 3 step process). Usually, this is an easy fix, I run to the 24 hour Duane Reade, pick up a bottle of Drano and voila! Instant declogging. But now I have this "Go green! Say no to evil non-green products" nagging in my head that prevents me from making that easy trip. So we live with the clogged drain.

Yesterday, I finally decided to try the ol' baking soda/vinegar trick that I read about on Friday. I poured in 1/2 cup of baking soda, then 1/2 cup of vinegar, watch it all fizz (which was pretty cool). Let it all sit for 20 minutes and then flushed with hot water. You know what.... it actually worked. Now I have this sink that allows me to wash all of my face at the same time. Yea!

Maybe this au natural cleaning thing won't be so bad. It's like of like conducting a science experiment. Though word of warning, don't combine baking soda and vinegar before you pour. I tried it (I mean, it just seemed to make sense to combine the two so that it'll drain easier), and I really don't recommend it.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home