Thursday, September 06, 2007

The blackhole known as Etsy

Recently, I've stumbled upon the brilliance that is Etsy. The web site is a blackhole. I start browsing (of course, when I browse, I must look at all 146 pages of pillows) and somehow *poof*, 3 hours have passed. So if you are now hopping onto the www.etsy.com site - you've been warned.

Sean and I have been looking for a light for our bedroom. It's a long and challenging process. We apparently have very different taste when it comes to lighting. Sean likes simple, clean (translation = no personality), I like the more quirky, funky (translation = weird). We've been butting heads on this for a while.

We finally saw a light that we both liked from Room & Board, but (there's always a but), it was $225. I mean, I just can't see myself ever paying that much for a light. It's a light! It needs to turn on/off. The kicker is that I didn't even like the shade - just the base. So $225 for just the base. Umm... no.

Yesterday, I saw a post on Apartment Therapy (another site that sucks up many minutes of my day) for some beautiful china with a cherry blossom pattern. I'm a sucker for cherry blossom. I think its the Asian in me :) I clicked on the link and it brought me to a store at Etsy. There... I saw a light that was nearly perfect. So close, except the decor on the light was wrong. I wanted red cherry blossoms, the light had green/orange leaves and flowers. But, since the seller sells china with cherry blossoms, I figure I'll ask if she can make a light with red cherry blossoms. I emailed the request - she said "yes!" and it was $40! She painted it today, firing it tomorrow, and I should receive it next week. Ooooo... I love the Internet :) Isn't the light beautiful? So perfect for our Zen bedroom :)

The seller's name is Olga and her store is at Olga Designs. She has beautiful items at really reasonable costs. Plus, she's very responsive and super nice.

3 Comments:

  • Oooh, that's lovely! Glad you found a compromise.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:16 PM  

  • Who looks at throw pillows on the internet for three hours? :) This is what my wife does while I'm in Denmark.

    And for the record, I was trying to choose lights with an asian/modern look, to go with Lily's "vision". This only proves I have no idea what I'm talking about. :)

    By Blogger Sean, at 9:30 PM  

  • for record... while in vegas, we un-did the bed so that we could determine what kind of sheets and pillows our bed was made out of...

    that's the kind of things your wife does while she's on vacation... :-)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home